The Hotel at Caratunk, Maine
The Hotel at Caratunk - A Timeline
1816 – Joseph Spaulding, Sr., who had moved to Caratunk from Embden, built the hotel.
1836 – Joseph Spaulding, Jr. took over the hotel at death of his father
1858 – Edward Livingstone (Liv) Webster, who had been born in Caratunk, moved back from Moscow and worked in the hotel for Joseph Clark, Jr.; he eventually married Abby Clark, daughter of Joseph Clark, Jr.
1885 – Esther (Moore) Clark, wife of Joseph Clark, Jr., took over the operation of the hotel at Caratunk with her daughter and husband, Abby (Clark) and Edward Livingstone Webster
1896 – Joseph ‘Jose’ Webster, son of E.L. and Abby Webster, took over the hotel at death of his father
1898 – Abby Clark Webster took over the hotel at the death of her son, Joseph.
Circa 1910 – Ralph Sterling and his wife, Leona (Redmond) took over the hotel from his grandmother, Abby Webster, when she moved to Waterville to be near her daughters.
1934 - Ralph and Leona Sterling built the Pierce Pond Stream Sporting Camps, which they ran in conjunction with the hotel business. Sometime while he was president, Roosevelt's daughter, Anna, won a fishing prize at the camps.
Circa 1950 – Mildred Sterling Smith and her husband Harold took over hotel operations with her mother, Leona (Redmond) Sterling, at the death of Ralph Sterling
Circa 1988 – Matt Polstein purchased the hotel and operates it as The Sterling Inn
Fall, 2007 - Nancy Pooler purchased The Sterling Inn and operates it as a bed and breakfast. Visit the Inn's Web site.
Back to OCRHS main page | Back to Wyman Archive Home
Copyright © Old Canada Road Historical Society, all rights reserved.